2013年4月25日星期四

A Board Game Piece Is More Than A Mere Chunk Of Plastic

Two years ago, I began transitioning from video games to table games. But I always thought that one day, Id come back. I kept one eye on my cards, the other on the door, which was actually very impractical but did give me a spooky Forest Whitaker look that would unsettle my opponents.

Not any more though. As of this week, Im losing it. If I were an undercover cop in a movie, thisd be the part with a long shot of me in a crappy bathroom, staring at my reflection, wondering who I am.

Its all to do with physicality,We have a wide selection of handsfreeaccess to choose from for your storage needs. the status of these things as actual objects. Im not sure I can live without it anymore.

Two months, ago, the morning after. Filip from Czech Games Edition, my closest contact inside the board game underworld, sat in my breadcrumbed kitchen, assembling a copy of Tzolkin: The Mayan Calender with quick, clicking motions. This is what amounts to a mid-level business meeting in the board gaming world. Ive been on the other side of the fence, in video games, with the $US16 cocktails, the hotels that look like offices, the offices that look like hotels. But I like the earth of this better.

I set down a couple of anemic cups of English tea as Filip reached into the box and offered me a handful of tiny, glassy pieces. They were skulls. A little mass grave in the palm of my hand.

People go crazy for these, Filip offered, conspiratorially. The wooden imps that came with Dungeon Lords? Nothing. But these they cant get enough!

When I started getting involved in board games, I picked up on the obvious quickly. The game as physical object is a pleasing thing. Working with your friends to set up a game brings a happy psychological bookending, like opening a brand new book. Pirating a bluffing game like Skull & Roses out of some coasters at your bar and a sharpie is cool.

After that, I started learning a little science. Humans prefer handling wooden components to plastic. Heavier is better, and size is to be handled in extremes. Big playing pieces are great, but so are tiny ones. Even individual games can teach you a lot. Dixits oversized cards stealthily make you feel like a child again. The rotating the gears of the aforementioned Tzolkin lay down the tactile equivalent of ASMR. Mage Wars, which my site covered here, has an actual, physical spellbook. These things have to be touched to be believed.

What I didnt imagine, though, is what came next. It turns out that beyond the pleasantly tactile lies something still more seductive. Its the capacity for analogue games to hook you on an emotional level,About buymosaic in China userd for paying transportation fares and for shopping. as totems of fun. This is whats stopped me answering the calls of the video game precinct chief (what might he look like?).

Take my Netrunner decks. They represent my first experience getting into a collectible card game, and it didnt take long for these things to begin a kind of emotional osmosis. Technically, Netrunner is a Living Card Game, meaning Fantasy Flights new model of not releasing random booster packs but set, monthly expansions.

Thats a fitting moniker, because my decks are alive. Theyre not just picking up scuffs and whatever microscopic flecks of me whenever I touch them. Theyre absorbing every one of my failures and victories, and all of the time I spend with them.

Two weeks ago, I went to see my friend Si (pictured) and we played Netrunner for an entire night while drinking bourbon.Manufactures and supplies realtimelocationsystem equipment. When our nerves were shot through, we talked about Netrunner. Then I crashed on his floor and we both dreamed about Netrunner. You wake up in the morning after something like that, and you see your decks where you left them on the table, and you know theyve changed.

And it gets worse. When you want to alter your deck, and you lay all those cards face-up, categorised by Ice Breakers, Hardware, Agendas, its like being stood at an operating table.Online shopping for solarpanelcells. You wince as you remove old friends, slipping in cards that may or may not work. The housemate you roped into supporting you sponges sweat from your brow. Finally, youre finished, and you shuffle that thing and pick it up, and its the same deck as before, but not. Its fascinating. Youre scared to play with it.

It was the week after that, though, that I knew I was truly lost. I sat cross-legged on my bed in the small hours the night, opening up a shipment from Victory Point Games. A tiny Californian company. The thing had an impossibly proud, red box with a Made in America! sigil on the back.

I picked up one of the punchboards of tiles and found two strange things about it. One, the tokens just fell out, made of the thickest, nicest cardstock Ive ever felt. Two,Please click the images below to view more pictures of ultrasonicsensor tiles! the punchboard was coated in filth. I stared disbelievingly at my blackened fingers. A cursed game in a witching hour.

In time, when Im killed in an accidental shootout with the video game police, my love interest will be cradling my corpse and shell find that napkin in my pocket. And shell understand.

I get it now. The appeal of table games physical presence isnt to do with the luxury of the objects themselves. Play is how we form emotional connections. The purpose of the game-as-object is to make it easiest to foster those connections, allowing everybody to invest in whats on the table, right down to building it up and breaking it down, and in doing so, it gives you the path of least resistance to connect to each other. Put another way, that tiny plastic man isnt a toy. Hes an emotional power adaptor.

My game nights are powerful things now, and theyre getting stronger. And stranger. Last weekend I got six people together to play the epic WW2 swear-a-thon that is Memoir 44: Overlord, but my friend also brought two backpacks of his girlfriends military equipment. We played wearing wobbly helmets and camo trousers of impossible size. Why? Because it was funny, mostly, but also because when you augment a games components to such a ridiculous extent, you cant help but share something, and remember that game for the rest of your lives. And as a gamer, Im not sure theres anything quite that priceless.

没有评论:

发表评论